Worthing Pier’s Southern Pavillion
Marine Parade, Worthing BN11 3PX
Generations of holidaymakers and Worthing residents have enjoyed visiting Worthing Pier. British seaside piers date from the early 1800s. Worthing’s pier was the thirteenth to be built in England at a cost of £6,500 by the Worthing Pier Company. The first pile was driven into the seabed on 4 July 1861. Designed by Sir Robert Rawlinson, the Pier was officially opened on 12 April 1862. Over the years it has been rebuilt and enlarged.
The Pier was a success from the start and inevitably there were soon plans for improvements. Two kiosks were added on the landward end of the Pier in 1884 to house the tollhouse and a souvenir shop. By 1889 a pavilion had been erected at the southern end of the Pier. The landing stage was also at the southern end. It was very important to the success of the Pier as Paddle Steamers regularly moored there. The best known was the Worthing Belle, in recent years the Waverley has been a regular visitor.
For bookings contact:
+44 01903 366 017